If you have suffered an injury while enjoying your favorite sports, at the Templo del Masaje we offer you the sports physiotherapy service so that you can recover with the best care.
What is Sports Physiotherapy?
Sports physiotherapy is a specialty within physiotherapy that is dedicated to the assessment and treatment of injuries related to sports and exercise at all levels and ages. Whether it’s running the London Marathon, playing soccer with your friends, or climbing Everest, each injury must be viewed in the context of the demands of the activity. In addition to getting athletes out of pain and back to full function, sports physical therapists also focus on individual performance and development.
What does a Sports Physiotherapist do?
Sports physical therapists have a multifaceted role that includes:
- Injury assessment: This requires a careful and thorough questioning of the current and previous injuries and will involve a thorough examination of the body.
- Identify the root cause of the injury: Often the root cause is not where the pain is located. A thorough evaluation will identify the factors that have contributed to the injury.
- Development of an individualized treatment plan: This will address all weaknesses and imbalances. We want an athlete to recover stronger to avoid re-injury.
- Improve strength and mechanics of other parts of the body: This is essential especially if an athlete needs a period of time away from sport while recovering.
- Apply realistic timescales for your return to sport: This is a skill and only comes with experience. Injuries heal at a different rate for each person.
- Injury Prevention: Identify all modifiable risk factors for injury and implement a plan to address them.
How do Sports Physiotherapists treat your injury?
In sports, it is about “margin” gains and the treatment of sports injuries is no different. Sports physical therapists are always striving to find new treatment techniques or equipment that will speed up an athlete’s recovery.
A sports physical therapist is proficient in “hands-on” treatment and has extensive training and experience in bone and soft tissue techniques such as myofascial release and spinal manipulation. However, where they often excel is in injury management and rehabilitation skills.
Many have studied strength and conditioning to ensure your rehabilitation and development of athletic ability, so that you come back stronger from injury. Lack of strength is often a key risk factor for many joint, tendon, and muscle injuries and forms a part of most injury prevention programs and treatment regimens.
Sports injuries can be complicated and a team approach is often required to get an athlete back on track.
This may require a review by a surgeon, sports doctor, or your GP. It is essential that all the healthcare professionals involved work together and communicate effectively. The team around you is essential.
At the Templo del Masaje we have a great team and we work closely with different health professionals to ensure that you are fully informed about your injury and are presented with all available treatment options.BUY ONLINE BOOK APPOINTMENT ONLINE